Thursday, August 21, 2014

2014: A Year Unexpected

Well... The year is halfway over, and I've yet to really accomplish anything significant, in my opinion. In fact, it seems quite opposite. Nothing has gone as planned in 2014. I have not achieved any goals I've set for myself, I'm not where I thought I would be. 

Maybe this is a good thing.

In 2014: 


  • Applied to Graduate School - got accepted - not going....maybe later in life when I can get paid more for it.
  • Applied for my Substitute Teaching Certificate - got fingerprinted but didn't finish the process.
  • Applied for good jobs at other non-profits/organizations - not meant to be.
  • Got a second part-time job at Academy to get ahead on payments - conquering that debt snowball.
  • Had way more car problems in the past few months than I ever have - expensive as heck.
  • Got a job with a financial advisory place, and get to lead a non-profit that benefits the community! - Yay!
  • Successfully planned the Centennial - longest 5 months ever...especially when you can barely understand the customers who have questions from around the world.
  • My first niece was born!
  • My name has been in the local newspaper twice within one week of each other for two different organizations! - Pretty cool. 
  • Got to officiate my first wedding for my best friend! - Whom later sent me a ukulele in the mail. Does it get any better? No.
  • Made some great new friendships, and developed some already good ones!
  • Got to lead worship solo on acoustic for the first time ever on a Sunday morning. - God works out your fears and calls you to have faith in the areas that most intimidate you.
  • Paid off my school bill and received my diploma.
  • Brainstormed and implemented an Events Coordinator position at church and I get to fill that role and help fulfill the vision of True Life Church. - What an honor, and exciting spot to be in!

None of these things I could have imagined happening. I did not know that I would make such good friends at Academy, or get a really great job that gives back to the community. In fact, I thought I would work at another non-profit. I also thought I'd be back in school, but as much as I want that it is not the right time. Then again, when I think about the homework I absolutely feel burnt out. This is probably a good thing, and too expensive of a thing to waste time on. I didn't see myself getting into the financial world, or event planning whatsoever, but it's really rewarding. If I could have planned 2014 it would have looked nothing like this. It probably would have had these options: 

  • Work with a nonprofit.
  • Work at a restaurant making cash every night.
  • Work at the same job Full-Time.
  • Still doing the same thing on the worship team, not really progressing as a musician.
  • Having a roommate or a house full of them.
  • Pursuing a Master's and maybe throw in some substitute teaching.
  • Start looking for open churches to begin ministry.
  • Start dating this guy someone set me up with. 
There's probably more, but I can't think of any at the moment. Anyway, 2014 would not have looked anything like it does now - halfway through. This has definitely been a year of discovery. In the end, God lines up paths for you and opens doors and it's way easier to trust Him with your future than it is for you to worry about it and try to MAKE things happen. I know, you're probably thinking this blog is in vain because of pointing out all of my "accomplishments", but I for sure posted some setbacks too. Things aren't always as they seem, and many times won't live up to your expectations....but there will be something out there that will, eventually.

I can't wait to see where 2015 takes me. Literally...... :) or who it brings me. ha! 

2 comments:

  1. Dude. This year has been completely crazy! For both of us! Yet, it is pretty clear that God has been in control the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang straight. God knows what He is up to!

    ReplyDelete